What is concurrent enrollment?
Through Eastern Maine Community College’s Concurrent Enrollment Program (CEP), qualified students can earn college credit prior to high school graduation. Concurrent enrollment is sometimes identified by other terms such as “dual credit,” “dual enrollment,” or “college in the high schools.” The National Alliance for Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships (NACEP) defines a concurrent enrollment program as one that offers college courses to high school students:
• In the high school,
• During the regular school day,
• Taught by high school teachers.
How do I know that the courses are equivalent to what is being taught on the college campus?
Eastern Maine Community College is a member of NACEP and will be seeking NACEP accreditation. NACEP is a professional organization for high schools and colleges that fosters and supports rigorous concurrent enrollment. NACEP serves as a national accrediting body and supports all members by providing standards of excellence, research, communication, and advocacy. The EMCC CEP follows all of the NACEP standards.
Concurrent enrollment programs provide a unique and sustainable way to deliver rigorous curriculum to a broad range of high school students. They simultaneously provide a mechanism for delivering ongoing professional development to America’s most talented teachers.
Why take Concurrent Enrollment?
– Students get a head start on college courses.
– Duplication of classes is reduced, shortening the time necessary to earn a college degree.
– Students can develop study habits and critical thinking skills essential to college success.
– Courses facilitate transition from high school to college.
– Parents and students save money.
– New challenges are added to the junior and senior year.
– Undecided students can determine if college is right for them.
The administrative fee for Concurrent Enrollment courses is $20 per credit. EMCC tuition is $90 per credit – this means a savings of almost $200 for a 3-credit concurrent enrollment course!
Eastern Maine Community College
Associate Academic Dean
354 Hogan Road ⋄ Bangor, ME 04401