In this program, the student will develop the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to practice as a certified surgical technologist by acquiring the following fundamental capabilities:
- To utilize appropriate medical terminology.
- To apply a basic understanding of human physiology and surgical anatomy in the perioperative role of a surgical technologist.
- To demonstrate a basic understanding of the concepts of pharmacology.
- To demonstrate theoretical and practical proficiency in surgical aseptic technique, surgical procedures and patient care.
- To identify and assume appropriate responsibility for patient care.
Prior to completing the program, students will take the national boards for the Certification in Surgical Technology. The Surgical Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Applied Health Programs (CAAHEP).
Graduates with the Associate in Applied Science Degree in Surgical Technology will function at an etnry level position as a Surgical Technologist with the following skills:
- Use appropriate instrumentation and procedural steps in general surgery, obstetrics-gynecology, genitor-urunary, otolaryngology, eye, plastic and reconstructive, neurosurgery, vascular, cardiovascular-thoracic, and orthopedic surgical areas.
- Apply a basic understanding of human physiology and surgical anatomy in the perioperative role of a surgical technologist.
- Use appropriate aseptic techniques in surgery.
- Utilize appropriate medical terminology.
- Make basic measurements for dosage and drug calculations.
- Use safe handling procedures for drugs and solutions.
Algebra I and Biology with Lab or Chemistry with Lab required.