Disability Services

Eastern Maine Community College is dedicated to providing reasonable accommodations to students with disabilities in accordance with the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act and Amendments of 2009 (ADAA).  Students requesting accommodations have the responsibility of registering with Disability Services in order to request accommodations.  Reasonable accommodations are granted on an individual, case-by-case basis by the Coordinator of Disability Services to students with documented disabilities.

Student Procedure for Requesting Accommodations: 

    • The student schedules an intake meeting for the upcoming semester by contacting the Coordinator of Disability Services, Elizabeth Saucier. Click Here to complete the required Intake Form.
    • The student provides the required documentation for the area(s) of disability. The documentation should meet the guidelines described below.
    • The student and Coordinator meet to review and complete the Accommodation Agreement, and draft accommodation letters.
    • The student provides accommodation letters to each instructor. The student maintains adequate communication with the Coordinator throughout the semester, particularly if accommodations require adjustment.
    • For any Residential-Life related accommodations such as request for a single room Click Here to review our procedure and note that all requests should be completed prior to August 1st (for fall semester).
    • To request the presence of an assistance/emotional support animal in the residence halls, please follow the above procedure. For more information on service and support animals, please Click Here to review our procedure.

Each Semester – New and Returning Students

    • Request a meeting with the Coordinator of Disability Services to receive your new or updated accommodation letters for the semester.  Each semester you will sign a new Accommodations Agreement form with the coordinator.  Meet with your instructors at the start of the semester to discuss your accommodations and provide them with a copy of your accommodation letter.
    • Check your EMCC email regularly for important notices from the Disability Services.
    • Check-in with the Coordinator during the semester.
    • Remember: you will need to renew your Accommodation Agreement for your next semester, and obtain new accommodation letters at the start of each semester.

Guidelines for Documentation

    • The documentation is the most recent information on the student’s area(s) of disability. Psychiatric documentation over 1 year old may not be recent enough.
    • The documentation is provided by a qualified provider such as a licensed psychologist, a medical doctor, or a licensed therapist.
  • The materials should include recommendations for specific accommodations that are related to the students disability.


Contact Information:

Elizabeth Saucier
Coordinator of Services for Students with DisabilitiesStudent Success Center
Work Maine Hall, Room 128 Eastern Maine Community College 354 Hogan Road Work Phone: 1-207-974-4868Work Phone: TDD/TTY: 1-207-974-4844Work Fax: 1-207-974-4883
Return to top.

Frequently Asked Questions

1)     What will take place during the intake meeting? The purpose of the intake meeting is for the student to register with disability services. The Coordinator will have reviewed your documentation if submitted prior to this appointment. An Accommodations Agreement and accommodation letters may be drafted during this meeting.

2)     What documentation is required? A 504 plan and/or an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) from the students’ high school may not be sufficient documentation. Please refer to our Documentation Guidelines (above) for detailed information.

3)     Will you be required to be a full-time student in order to request accommodations? No. Any student with a documented disability whether full-time or part-time, matriculated or non-matriculated, are able to request accommodations.

4)     What range of accommodations and services can be made for various types of disabilities? Reasonable accommodations can be arranged once there has been adequate time to evaluate the request and supporting documentation. Some examples of accommodations include extended time on exams, reduced-distraction settings for exams and quizzes, no tetaking assistance, or the use of assistive technology in the classroom.

5)      Is there a deadline for when I can disclose my disability and request accommodations? No, there is no specific deadline during the semester to disclose your disability and request accommodations. It may be done at any point during the semester. However, Disability Services encourages you to request accommodations as soon as possible or before the semester starts to allow for sufficient time to put accommodations in place. Some types of academic accommodations may take a substantial amount of time to organize (such as e- books, sign language interpreters, accessible furniture, and other auxiliary aides) and a late request for these accommodations may result in a significant delay in services. Additionally, accommodations are not retroactive, meaning, an accommodation cannot be granted and applied to assignments/activities that have already happened.

6)    When and where do I send my disability documentation? It is extremely helpful if documentation can be sent to Disability Services prior to your Intake appointment. Documentation should be sent directly to Elizabeth Saucier and should NOT be sent to the admissions office. Documentation is accepted securely through email at esaucier@emcc.edu, through the mail, or via fax at 207-974-4883. You may also mail documentation, addressed directly to Elizabeth Saucier, Coordinator of Disability Services, at 354 Hogan Rd.  Bangor, Maine, 04401.

7)  Can I have a private tutor as an accommodation? Tutors are actually available for all students at EMCC upon request through the Student Success Center. While a one-on-one educational technician may have been an accommodation for students with specialized needs in high school, this type of personal assistance is not available in the classroom in college.  Tutoring in the Student Success Center (not an accommodation) often occurs in a small group format.