International Applicant

Eastern Maine Community College is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant students. Applicants who are citizens of countries other than the United States are expected to submit the same credentials as other applicants, including transcripts of courses taken and examination results. If the documents are not in English, they must be accompanied by an English translation certified by a recognized agency that specializes in the evaluation of foreign educational documents.

Recommended for international educational credential evaluation:

World Educational Services
Bowling Green Station
PO Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087

If English is not the applicant’s native language, Eastern Maine Community College requires a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 530 paper/197 computer based/71 Internet based (iBT).

International students who want to receive an I-20 form from Eastern Maine Community College must study full-time (a minimum of 12 credit hours) in one of our many programs of study.

To receive an I-20 form from Eastern Maine Community College for full-time study, you must submit the following:

  • a complete application for full-time study
  • a non-refundable, one-time application fee of $20.00
  • official test results from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
  • tuition payment
  • proof of finances, less than two months old (in English), showing that you will have enough money to pay for both your living and tuition expenses with studying at Eastern Maine Community College
  • a copy of your passport
  • a copy of all required vaccination records

Acceptable documents include:

  • a letter from your bank, in English, stating the amount of money in your account, or
  • a bank statement from a family member or an employer (in English).  If you submit a bank statement from anyone other than yourself, you must also submit a signed Declaration of Finances from the person or organization that will sponsor you.

If you are transferring from another school within the United States, you must also bring the following to Eastern Maine Community College before we can issue you an I-20:

  • your passport
  • a copy of all pages of your 1-20 from the previous school
  • Proof of health insurance. All matriculated students must have health insurance while in the United States.

We recommend that you apply for your I-20 from oversees at least one month before your program begins.