Applications for the fall 2015 Nursing program are now closed. Applicants who submitted an application prior to December 31, 2014, have until February 1, 2015, to complete their application; including the HESI exam.
Applications for the fall 2016 program will be accepted from September 1, 2015, through December 30, 2015. All supporting documentation (transcripts, recommendations, etc.) must be received by the Admissions Office before February 1, 2016. Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit applications as soon as practical to ensure sufficient time to complete the admission process. Candidates selected for admission will be notified by April, 2016.
To be considered for admission for fall 2016, all prerequisites must be successfully completed prior to February 1. The prerequisites (high school equivalent unless otherwise noted) required for admission to EMCC’s Nursing program are:
- Algebra I
- Biology with Lab
- Chemistry with Lab
- Transferable college-level Anatomy and Physiology I with Lab (EMCC’s BIO121/124)*
*A limited number of 3-year slots (extended program) are available each year to current high school students who have not yet completed Anatomy and Physiology I with Lab. Candidates for the extended program must meet all other admission criteria including achieving the appropriate HESI pre-entrance exam scores.
*It is the responsibility of the applicant to have the final grades from prerequisite courses taken through adult education or at another college mailed to the Admissions Office. (In determining whether an application is “complete” and ready to be reviewed by the Admissions Committee, adult education transcripts are not considered if admission personnel are not aware that you are currently enrolled in these courses.) Applicants are strongly encouraged to follow up and ensure that all materials have arrived for your file. Additionally, if you are currently enrolled in prerequisite courses and/or Nursing general education courses, make sure the Admissions Committee is aware of the course name, location, and anticipated completion date.
All forms referenced below can be found on the Admissions Forms and Resources page.
The following must submitted to the Admissions Office prior to December 30, 2015:
- Completed Application for Admission. Current EMCC students wishing to change their major TO Nursing can use this abbreviated Change of Major Application (Must complete remaining application requirements as well.)
The following must submitted to the Admissions Office prior to February 1, 2016:
- Non-refundable $20 application fee, and essay. The topic of the essay must be “what life experiences have led you to choose nursing as a career”.
- All previous education transcripts (high school, adult education, and college).* Regardless of whether transfer credit is being sought, applicants must disclose all prior colleges attended. Failure to furnish all information on past education may constitute adequate reason for disqualification of your acceptance or subsequent dismissal from the College as well as possible retraction or denial of financial aid funds.
- Two confidential recommendations on official EMCC Reference Forms from professional or academic persons (new recommendations are required each year). Please print and use the required recommendation forms.
- Pre-Admission test results. EMCC requires that all candidates take the HESI A2 pre-entrance exam. Applicants may sign up for the exam once the application has been submitted. Applicants can take the pre-admission exam (HESI) two times per application cycle. At least four weeks must separate testing attempts. The exam will be offered between November and February. To schedule your exam, scroll to the bottom of this page and complete the pre-admission testing form.
All applicants to Nursing who are offered admission to the program will be required to submit to a national criminal background screening process at their expense within 30 days of acceptance. For more complete details regarding this requirement please see Criminal Background Screening If after reading this information you have questions or concerns please contact Stacy Green, at email@example.com or 207-974-4679.
Notice to Advanced Standing Applicants: In addition to the prerequisites listed above, you must also have transferrable credit for all nursing general education courses and all first level nursing courses. Applicants are encouraged to schedule an appointment with Stacy Green, Interim Director of Admissions, to discuss requirements.
Primary Contacts for Admission Questions
The Admissions Committee respectfully requests that all questions concerning the nursing admission process and transfer credit be directed as follows (e-mail preferred in all instances):
- Application Documentation Received
- General Admission Questions
- Transfer and Selection Process Questions (Stacy Green)
The selection process used for the Nursing program involves an objective assessment of each applicant’s academic history including prerequisite and college-level coursework, pre-admission test results, essay, and references. To be seriously considered, applicants must:
- Achieve a HESI overall exam score of 75 and an average score of 75 on the science sections [Biology (current high school students) or Anatomy & Physiology (high school graduates) and Chemistry] and a score above 75 on both the mathematics and reading comprehension sections;
- Earn A’s or B’s in all prerequisite coursework (higher grades carry more weight in the selection process);
- Earn A’s or B’s in academic courses (high school and/or college) relevant to the nursing program;
- Write a well-constructed, thoughtful essay about your career objectives;
- Ask for recommendations from individuals who know your strengths particularly as related to becoming a Nurse. Keep in mind that recommendations are confidential and the content of these recommendations and/or point value assigned during the selection process will not be revealed to you.
Personal interviews are not used as part of the selection criteria; therefore, requesting a personal meeting with the Director of Nursing will not have a positive or negative influence on the selection process.
HESI Exam Scheduling Information
In order to schedule a date to take the HESI A2 pre-admission exam at EMCC, you must first submit an Application for Admission!
If you do not meet the program prerequisites, it is not advisable for you to take the pre-admission exam. Please contact Stacy Green at firstname.lastname@example.org for advice.
All Nursing applicants will be required to take the HESI (Health Education Systems, Inc.) A2 computerized entrance exam at a cost of $40. There is a four hour time limit for examinees to take the exam once the instructions are read. Calculators, dictionaries and other resource materials may not be used during the examination. In addition to learning style and personality style profiles, the exam covers the following:
- Anatomy and Physiology (A&P): 30 questions focused on basic A&P topics like smooth muscle, muscle function and basic physiology (high school graduates only);
- Biology: 30 questions focused on a wide variety of biological topics (current high school students only);
- Chemistry: 30 questions related mostly to inorganic related topics;
- Basic Grammar: 50 questions related to punctuation and capitalization topics;
- Mathematics: 55 questions that focus on math needed for calculation of drugs and solutions;
- Reading Comprehension: 47 questions about the main idea and topic sentences of readings with medical scenarios;
- Vocabulary and General Knowledge: 55 questions focused on terms often used in health care fields.
The Admissions Office does not have study materials available for the exam; however, the HESI Study Guide (ISBN 9781416056355) may be purchased through the Bookstore or on-line at any one of several companies including but not limited to Amazon.com and elsevierhealth.com. A copy of the guide can also be found on reserve in the EMCC Library.
Examinees who require testing accommodations due to a disability should contact Amy Sturgeon, 207-974-4868 or by email at email@example.com. In order for us to make appropriate accommodations, the appropriate forms must be on file prior to scheduling a date to test.
On the day of your exam: Be sure to arrive 30 minutes prior to the beginning of the test. Examinees arriving after that time will not be allowed to test and will have to reschedule. Report to the Library on the second floor of Katahdin Hall. You must present a photo ID and check/cash in the amount of $40 (exact change please) to cover the testing fee. Proctors will not allow examinees to take the exam without payment. If necessary, cancel or reschedule your appointment as early as possible by calling the Admissions Office at 207-974-4680.
~If EMCC cancels classes, the exam will NOT be administered.
~If EMCC cancels classes while the test is in session, the test will continue.
~Saturdays, test will proceed as scheduled unless you are contacted by the Admissions Office prior to the date.
If you submitted an application for the fall 2015 Nursing program prior to the Dec 31, 2014 deadline, complete the information below to schedule a time to take the HESI exam: