Disability Student Services


Eastern Maine Community College is committed to providing access to students with documented disabilities to enhance their educational experience in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

Procedure for Requesting Accommodations for a Documented Disability

To receive accommodations for a disability, the student with a documented disability must follow these steps:

  1. Contact the OSD to disclose your disability and schedule an Intake appointment
  2. Refer to the OSD’s Documentation Guidelines Packet and begin to gather documentation about your disability
  3. Fill out an Intake form and submit your documentation to the OSD
  4. Meet with the Coordinator for an Intake meeting. If possible, accommodations will be agreed upon during the meeting. However, if more documentation is needed, a follow up meeting may be necessary.
  5. The Coordinator drafts Accommodation letters, and the student delivers them to instructors after the Intake meeting.

Academic Accommodations

Academic accommodations are granted after the student has met with the Coordinator for an Intake appointment and sufficient documentation has been received. All accommodations are reviewed on a case by case basis and are granted based on an interactive process between the student and Coordinator. It is the student’s responsibility to request accommodations and provide Instructors with copies of their accommodation letters. Accommodations are not retroactive and must be requested every semester. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the Coordinator if there are questions or concerns about accommodations that have granted.

Examples of possible accommodations may be:

  • Extra time on tests and quizzes
  •  Reduced Distraction Testing Environment
  •  Notetaking Assistance
  •  Tape Recorder
  •  Auxiliary aides and Assistive Technology
  •  Sign language interpreters
  •  Readers and/or scribes on exams
  •  Alternate format textbooks

Procedure for Requesting Accommodations for a Documented Disability for the Accuplacer Placement Assessment

  1. Contact the OSD to disclose your disability and request accommodations on the Accuplacer Placement exam.
  2. Refer to the OSD’s Documentation Guidelines Packet and begin to gather documentation about your disability.
  3. Fill out an Intake form and submit your documentation to the OSD.
  4. Meet with the Coordinator for an Intake meeting.
  5. If possible, accommodations will be granted for use on the Accuplacer Placement Assessment.

Contact Information:

Coordinator of Services for Students with Disabilities
Maine Hall, Room 121A
Eastern Maine Community College
354 Hogan Road
Bangor, ME 04401
Phone:  207-974-4868
FAX:  207-974-4883
TTY:  207-974-4844
Email:  dss@emcc.edu


The nature of a student’s disability, the content of documentation, and other records on file with the Office for Students with Disabilities are confidential.

Information will be released to third parties when, and only when:

  • It is necessary in response to a court order.
  • The immediate circumstances surrounding the student constitute a serious threat to the life or well-being of the student or others.
  • The OSD does not have permission provide instructors or staff with specific information about a student’s diagnosis. Students have the right to disclose their disability to faculty or staff and share specific information about how their disability may impact them in a learning environment. However, students should not feel compelled to divulge any information beyond what is covered in their accommodation letters.
  • The OSD follows the State of Maine documentation retention guidelines and destroys documentation and records after seven years from date of last attendance.


1)     What is the procedure for identifying yourself and your disability to receive accommodations? As soon as possible, call the office to schedule an Intake appointment with the Coordinator. Before arriving for the appointment, download and complete the Intake form, available online. Bring the completed form and updated documentation to the appointment.

2)     What documentation is required? A 504 plan and/or an IEP/SOP may not be sufficient documentation. Please refer to our Documentation Guidelines Packet for detailed information.

3)     Will you be required to be a full-time student in order to receive services? No. Any student, whether full-time or part-time, matriculated or non-matriculated, are able to utilize services with proper documentation.

4)     What range of accommodations and services can be made for various types of disabilities? Reasonable accommodations can be arranged once there has been adequate time to evaluate the request and supporting documentation. Some examples of accommodations include extended time on exams, reduced-distraction settings for exams and quizzes, notetaking assistance, or assistive technology.

5)     Is there a separate cost for any of these services? No. Any EMCC student can register to use services free of charge.

6)     Is there a deadline for when I can disclose my disability and request accommodations? No, there is no specific deadline during the semester to disclose your disability and request accommodations. It may be done at any point during the semester. However, the OSD encourages you to disclose and request accommodations as soon as possible or before the semester starts to allow for sufficient time to put accommodations in place. Some types of academic accommodations may take a substantial amount of time to organize (such as audio books, sign language interpreters, accessible furniture, and auxiliary aides) and a late request for these accommodations may result in a significant delay in services. Additionally, accommodations are not retroactive, and cannot be applied to things that have already happened.

7)     I transferred to EMCC from another University or College and have received accommodations in the past. Will my previous accommodations carry over to EMCC automatically? No, your accommodations will not automatically be carried over at EMCC. You must disclose your disability and request accommodations through the Intake process in the OSD.

8)    When and where do I send my disability documentation? It is extremely helpful if documentation can be sent to the OSD prior to your Intake appointment. Documentation should be sent directly to the OSD and not be included with the application for admission. Documentation is accepted through email at dss@emcc.edu, through the mail, or via fax at 207-974-4883.