EMCC’s Surgical Technology program joins the Association of Surgical Technologists (AST) in celebrating National Surgical Technologists Week, happening 9/17-9/23/2017. In 1984, the AST Board of Directors dedicated the third week in September to recognizing those in the Surgical Technology field, as well as the intense training it takes to enter the field.
- To utilize appropriate medical terminology.
- To apply a basic understanding of human physiology and surgical anatomy in the perioperative role of a surgical technologist.
- To demonstrate a basic understanding of the concepts of pharmacology.
- To demonstrate theoretical and practical proficiency in surgical aseptic technique, surgical procedures, and patient care.
- To identify and assume appropriate responsibility for patient care. Prior to completing the program, students will take the national boards for the Certification in Surgical Technology. The Surgical Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Applied Health Programs (CAAHEP), 25400 U.S. Highway 19 North, Suite 158, Clearwater, FL 33763, Phone 727-210-2350, Fax 727-210-2354, www.caahep.org.