Apply for Financial Aid
2012–2013 Academic Year
Students must complete the 2012 – 2013 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Filing may be completed by submitting an electronic application at www.fafsa.gov.* Call (800)433-3243 for questions about FAFSA on the web.
*If you do not have access to the internet to file your form electronically, please contact our office as soon as possible for instructions on how to file a paper FAFSA.
Eastern Maine Community College’s Title IV Code, 005277, must be included on your FAFSA so that we will receive your information.
Priority consideration is given to students whose FAFSA is processed prior to May 1, 2012. Late FAFSA applicants will be considered for financial aid on a first come first serve basis.
- Complete the FAFSA when you apply for admissions to any degree, diploma, or certificate program at EMCC. Do not wait for the formal acceptance to EMCC before filing your financial aid application.
- Students who believe that they have special circumstances concerning their ability to contribute to their education expenses should inform the Student Aid Office by completing a Special Circumstances Form, (printable from the EMCC Financial Aid Applications and Forms section of this web site).
- The FAFSA may be filed as early as January 1, 2012 or as late as May 31, 2013 for the 2012-2013 academic year.
How to Apply for a Federal Direct Loan
Important! Federal Direct Loan eligibility is determined from information on the FAFSA. Your financial aid award letter states your maximum loan eligibility. It is your decision, however, if you borrow the full amount, a partial amount, or if you borrow at all. You have plenty of time to make an informed decision regarding your borrowing, since you can borrow anytime throughout the academic year. Keep in mind that you must allow up to four weeks for loan certification.
How to Apply
- Complete Federal Direct Loan ENTRANCE counseling
- Watch the Opportunity Maine video
- Complete your Direct Loan Master Promissory Note
Note: You will receive email confirmation of loan approval by the Student Aid Office. If you are a first-time student at EMCC or are a transfer to EMCC, you must complete Federal Direct Loan Entrance counseling and watch the Opportunity Maine video before we can certify your loan.
Failure to complete the above steps will result in your Direct Loan funds not being credited to your student account.