Medical Radiography is a two-year or three-year program that integrates scientific concepts into working skills through classroom study and intensive clinical experience. The program concentrates on diagnostic radiology, including angiography and computerized tomography. Other imaging modalities such as nuclear medicine, radiation therapy, sonography, and magnetic resonance imaging are briefly discussed.
Medical radiographers are health professionals who combine technical knowledge with radiographic and anatomical knowledge to obtain diagnostic images of all parts of the human body. Successful radiographers must have a good working knowledge of human anatomy, radiographic positioning, radiologic physics, equipment operation, and quality assurance. As members of a health care team, radiographers must also understand and apply principles of good patient care, and conduct themselves in accordance with medical ethical standards.
The Medical Radiography Program is accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT), 20 N. Wacker Drive, Suite 2850, Chicago, IL 60606-3182. Phone: (312) 704-5300; Fax: (312) 704-5304; email@example.com. Graduates are eligible to sit for the national certification examination administered by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT), and to apply for Maine licensure in radiography.
- MEDICAL RADIOGRAPHY PROGRAM MISSION STATEMENT
The mission of the Medical Radiography Program is to provide students with the knowledge and skills to obtain and hold entry-level radiographic positions; develop interpersonal, communication, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills which enable the students to be contributing members of their profession.
- CLINICAL HANDBOOK 2020-2021 – DOWNLOAD HERE!
Medical Radiography Program Goals & Learning Outcomes
Students will demonstrate clinical competence
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of imaging principles – technical selection
- Students will demonstrate competence in positioning skills
- Students will provide patient care essential to medical imaging procedures
- Students will demonstrate radiation protection
- Students will demonstrate competence in routine surgical procedures
Students will demonstrate professionalism
- Students will adhere to all program and clinical affiliate policies
- Students will demonstrate the importance of life-long learning
- Students will demonstrate good attendance and punctuality practices
Students will demonstrate problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Students will demonstrate the ability to adapt for the trauma patient
- Students will demonstrate the ability to evaluate radiographic images
Students will demonstrate effective communication skills
- Students will communicate effectively in the healthcare community
- Students will demonstrate the ability to convey their ideas using speech, graphics and writing
MEDICAL RADIOGRAPHY CLINICAL INTERNSHIPS
Clinical education courses are an essential and mandatory aspect of the Medical Radiography Program. The clinical internship provides the opportunity for students to put into practice the information learned in their academic coursework. The sequence of the academic and clinical courses allows the student to initially gain basic knowledge in radiographic principles, positioning, procedures, health care & ethics, and apply those principles to clinical situations. Senior-level clinical courses allow students to fine-tune their clinical skills during routine exams, and advance their clinical skills during atypical and trauma examinations.
Clinical Internship Sites:
1) Eastern Maine Medical Center (Bangor)
2) EMMC – Healthcare Mall (Bangor)
3) St. Joseph Hospital (Bangor)
4) Penobscot Community Health Center – Helen Hunt Health Center (Old Town)
5) Maine Coast Memorial Hospital (Ellsworth)
Clinical externship sites:
Students may request assignments at three externship sites throughout the state. Assignments at externship sites may not exceed 80 hours/annually. Students are responsible for transportation to all clinical sites.
1) Blue Hill Memorial Hospital
2) Cary Medical Center
3) Houlton Regional Hospital