Network Device Assignment
Beginning in the Fall of 2011 EMCC has redesigned how it assigns devices owned by students on its dorm network. By default all devices used within the student dorms will require students to authenticate through a captive portal regardless of its connection mechanism (wired or wireless). The IT Department is aware that this may cause problems used by students who reside on campus; and as such, will make exemptions for certain devices that currently include:
- How to find the MAC address for an Xbox
- Go to My Xbox in the Xbox Dashboard and select Settings, then System.
- Select your wired network name.
- Click Configure Network.
- Select Advanced Settings from the Additional Settings tab, then select Alternate Mac Address.
- At the bottom of this screen you’ll see a heading called Wired MAC.
- How to find the MAC address for a PS3
- Start up your PlayStation 3 without a disk in the drive.
- Find the System Settings icon and select the X.
- Click System Information and press the X.
- Your Mac Address will display.
- How to find the MAC address for a Wii
- Start your Wii, without a disc.
- Click the Wii button at the bottom of the start screen.
- To the right, click Wii Settings.
- Go to the Next Set of settings, by selecting the arrow on the right.
- Click Internet.
- At the bottom of the screen, select Console information.
- The MAC Address will then come up on the next page.
- If you are using a 3rd party Ethernet Adapter, the MAC Address may show up as all zeros.
If you have one of these devices and would like to be able to use it on campus you must ensure the device is set to obtain its ip address, default gateway and dns settings automatically. In addition you must ensure that your device does not have any PPoE or PPTP settings applied to it. If you have satisfied these conditions then you may complete the form at the bottom of this page; once filled out, the IT Department will process your request and inform you by email when your request has been completed. If you are unsure how to obtain the required information or check your current settings for your device you will need to consult your products documentation for further instructions.
Please note this form is ONLY for gamming or other dvd/entertainment consoles, you do not need to register your computer or other web browser enabled devices.
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOUR DEVICE MUST BE CONNECTED TO A WIRED NETWORK CONNECTION, YOUR DEVICE WILL NOT WORK WITH WIRELESS!
You can find the Network Device Assignment form here: https://my.emcc.edu/ICS/MyAccount/Network_Device_Assignment/