Summer Success Academy
The 2023 TRIO Student Support Services Summer Success Academy will run in-person from July 10-28
Congratulations on being accepted to EMCC! If you have been placed into a developmental math (LAM008 or LAM009) and/or writing (LAE013) class, or you are concerned about your readiness for college, then please consider enrolling in TRIO’s free and in-person Summer Success Academy (SSA). This grant-funded program is designed to give new college students like you a jumpstart on their college experience. After completing math and/or writing refresher courses, students may be eligible to bypass developmental courses. For example, if you successfully complete the Summer Success Academy’s writing course, you may be able to move up to College Composition (ENG 101) this fall.
Classes will run Monday – Thursday from 8:30 AM – 2:30 PM. Fridays will be non-instructional days filled with fun trips to local cultural sites.
Other benefits of the Summer Success Academy include:
- The option to live on campus for free during the SSA.
- Two fun Friday trips to area sites that are all-expenses-paid.
- Free breakfast and lunch each day (and dinner if you live on campus).
- Liberal Studies & Career Studies students can earn one free credit by taking a First-Year Experience (FYE) class. This course is graded.
- Students who test out of developmental math and/or English courses and complete FYE will graduate earlier and save money.
- Getting familiar with the EMCC campus, staff, and resources.
- Getting a jumpstart on how to use Brightspace and MyEMCC.
- Having access to EMCC’s tutors and peer mentors throughout the Academy to help you complete your coursework.
- Save over $900 in tuition and fees if you pass all three courses.
- Gain confidence in your math and/or writing skills from professional staff.
- Bring a guest to our awards luncheon on Friday, July 28.
Having the opportunity to be one of the first students to join EMCC’s TRIO Student Support Services program. Learn more about TRIO here
You have three courses to choose from (see below). All students are required to take First-Year Experience and must also take at least math or writing. Students are encouraged to sign up for all three courses.
First-Year Experience (FYE): A 1-credit graded First-Year Experience course aimed at helping Liberal Studies and Career Studies students become better prepared for college.
Math: Targeting teaching depending on whether the student is enrolled in LAM008 or LAM009 with the goal of advancing from LAM008 to LAM009 or from LAM009 to a 100-level math course.
Writing: Working with students on their writing skills with the goal of advancing from LAE013 to a 100- level English course such as ENG101 or ENG101L (with a lab)
This year’s Summer Success Academy will be held on campus in Maine Hall.
All courses will include in-person instruction, instructor feedback on all assignments, small group work, and individual conferencing with the instructors.
Students must be TRIO-eligible to qualify for this free program. Please refer all questions to TRIO Director Mike Schwabenbauer at 207.974.4642 or email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until June 30th.
We look forward to helping you get a head start on your future,
Director of TRIO Student Support Services