Summer Success Academy
The 2020 Summer Success Academy will run ONLINE from July 7th – August 13th.
Congratulations on being accepted to EMCC! If you have been placed into developmental math (LAM008 or LAM009) or English (LAE013) class and/or you are concerned about your readiness for college, then please consider enrolling in our free online Summer Success Academy (SSA). This free online program is designed to give students like you a jumpstart on their college experience. After completing math and/or writing refresher courses, students may be eligible to bypass developmental courses. For example, if you successfully complete the Summer Success Academy’s math section, you may be able to move up to College Algebra (MAT 119) this fall.
Other benefits of the Summer Success Academy include:
- Liberal Studies students can earn one free credit by taking their First-Year Experience (FYE) class
- Students who test out of developmental math and/or English courses and complete FYE will graduate earlier
- Getting familiar with Brightspace, which is EMCC’s new online student learning management system
- Having free access to EMCC’s tutors throughout the Academy to help you complete your coursework
- A free celebration luncheon at EMCC on Friday, August 14th for students who complete any part of the Academy
- Gain confidence in your math and/or English skills from professional staff
- Having the opportunity to be one of the first students to join EMCC’s TRIO Student Support Services program
You have three courses to choose from (see below). You can enroll in just the math session, just the English session, just the FYE, OR you can take all three sections, the math with the FYE, the English with the FYE, or the math with the English.
FYE: A 1-credit First-Year Experience course aimed at helping Liberal Studies students become better prepared for college.
Math: Targeting teaching depending on whether the student is enrolled in LAM008 or LAM009 with the goal of advancing from LAM008 to LAM009 or from LAM009 to a 100-level math course.
English: Working with students on their writing skills with the goal of advancing from LAE013 to a 100- level English course such as ENG101 or ENG101L (with a lab)
We wanted to host the Summer Success Academy on campus; however, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, we are putting the health and safety of our students first and offering this online.
All courses will include pre-recorded professor videos, online quizzes, instructor feedback on all assignments, one-on-one online tutoring sessions, and individual virtual conferencing with the instructors. The Summer Success Academy goes live on July 7 and students have until August 13 to complete the content. You may complete the Academy at your own pace. We anticipate that each course will take roughly 20 hours to complete.
Students who complete any of the three SSA courses are tentatively invited to attend a free celebratory luncheon and campus tour on Friday, August 14th.
Please refer all questions to Jeremy White at 207-974-8508 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Mike Schwabenbauer at 480-688-2315 or email@example.com. Applications for each academy will be accepted up until the start date of July 7th.
If you’re ready to apply, please fill out the application below, and if you have any questions please be in contact with Jeremy or Mike.
We look forward to helping you get a head start on your future,
Jeremy White & Mike Schwabenbauer
Summer Success Academy Directors