Summer Success Academy
The 2022 Summer Success Academy will run in person from July 11 to July 28.
Congratulations on being accepted to EMCC! If you have been placed into developmental math (LAM008 or LAM009) or English (LAE013) class and/or you are concerned about your readiness for college, then please consider enrolling in our free in-person Summer Success Academy (SSA). This free online program is designed to give students like you a jumpstart on their college experience. After completing math and/or writing refresher courses, students may be eligible to bypass developmental courses. For example, if you successfully complete the Summer Success Academy’s math section, you may be able to move up to College Algebra (MAT 119) this fall.
Classes will run Monday – Thursday from 9:00 AM – 3:30 PM with our annual trip to Bar Harbor planned for Friday, July 22.
Other benefits of the Summer Success Academy include:
- Free trip to Bar Harbor on July 22nd
- The option to live on campus for free during the academy
- Liberal Studies and Career Studies students can earn one free credit by taking their College Success, First-Year Experience (FYE) class
- Students who test out of developmental math and/or English courses and complete FYE will graduate earlier and save money
- Getting familiar with Brightspace, which is EMCC’s new online student learning management system
- Having free access to EMCC’s tutors throughout the Academy to help you complete your coursework
- Save over $900 in tuition and fees if you pass all three courses
- Gain confidence in your math and/or English skills from professional staff
- Having the opportunity to be one of the first students to join EMCC’s TRIO Student Support Services program. Learn more about TRIO here.
You have three courses to choose from (see below). You can enroll in just the math session, just the English session, just the FYE, OR you can take all three sections, the math with the FYE, the English with the FYE, or the math with the English.
College Success (FYE): A 1-credit First-Year Experience course aimed at helping Liberal Studies and Career Studies students become better prepared for college.
Math: Targeting teaching depending on whether the student is enrolled in LAM008 or LAM009 with the goal of advancing from LAM008 to LAM009 or from LAM009 to a 100-level math course.
English: Working with students on their writing skills with the goal of advancing from LAE013 to a 100- level English course such as ENG101 or ENG101L (with a lab)
This year’s Summer Success Academy will be held on campus. Students will be expected to adhere to all EMCC COVID-19 protocols.
All courses will include in-person instruction quizzes, instructor feedback on all assignments, one-on-one tutoring sessions, and individual conferencing with the instructors.
Please refer all questions to Jeremy White at 207.974.4607 or email@example.com or Mike Schwabenbauer at 207.974.4642 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications for each academy will be accepted until June 30th.
If you’re ready to apply, please fill out the application below, and if you have any questions please be in contact with Jeremy or Mike.
We look forward to helping you get a head start on your future,
Jeremy White & Mike Schwabenbauer
Summer Success Academy Directors