“I had the chance to go to school after I was laid off from Dexter Shoe. I surprised myself by how well I adapted to classroom learning after 20 years out of school. I’ve made the Dean’s List and will graduate in May. I’m proof it can be done!”
George J. Mitchell Peace Scholarship
The George J. Mitchell Peace Scholarship provides opportunities for students from the Maine Community College System to study in Ireland for either the fall or spring semester. The Scholarship honors the Northern Ireland peace accord brokered by Senator Mitchell between the governments and peoples of Ireland and the United Kingdom. Apply now.
Successful MCCS applicants are eligible to attend the Cork Institute of Technology on the south coast of Ireland for the fall or spring semester.
The scholarship covers:
- tuition and fees
- a food and living expense stipend of 500 euros a month
- a travel grant of $1,000
- funds to cover the Irish Immigration fee
Students who are awarded the scholarship should budget for:
- additional food and living expenses
- personal expenses
- Proof of sufficient funds (approximately $3,000) to support themselves financially during their period of study in Ireland, which is required by the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service requires for student visa holders. Students need to show proof that they have the funds in a bank or on a pre-paid credit/debit card on the day they register with Irish Immigration (once the student is in Ireland). However, it is important to note that the funds do not need to remain in the account once the student has registered.
The selection process is competitive and students must complete an application and interview in order to be considered for the award. Emphasis is placed on academic success, maturity, leadership, and community service. Students interested in applying for the scholarship are strongly encouraged to meet with their Dean of Students as early in the process as possible.
To be considered for a George J. Mitchell Peace Scholarship, a student must:
- Be 18 or older and eligible for international travel at the time of the exchange.
- Have demonstrated leadership skills and a commitment to community service.
- Be a full-time, matriculated student in the Maine Community College System (MCCS) and enrolled in an associate degree program or have recently graduated from MCCS.
- Have completed at least one semester by the application deadline.
- Have a grade point average of 3.0 or higher.