“I had the chance to go to school after I was laid off from Dexter Shoe. I surprised myself by how well I adapted to classroom learning after 20 years out of school. I’ve made the Dean’s List and will graduate in May. I’m proof it can be done!”
Medical Radiography Applicant
Applications for the fall 2021 Medical Radiography program are accepted September 1, 2020, through December 30, 2020.
All supporting documentation (transcripts, recommendations, immunizations, test results, etc.) must be received by the Admissions Office before February 1, 2021.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit applications as soon as practical to ensure sufficient time to complete the admission process. Candidates selected for admission will be notified by April 1, 2021.
|Application for Admission||Apply online here|
(including proof of 3 Hepatitis B vaccines & a Hepatitus B titer)
|TWO Professional or Educational References||Reference Form|
|Clinical Observation, aka job shadow (if completed)||Observation Form|
|Confidentiality Form (if observation is completed)||Confidentiality Form|
|Health Occupations Aptitude Test||Test Dates|
|Transcripts (high school and all prior colleges)||More info|
Please carefully read the information on this page to make sure you’ve successfully completed the above checklist.
How to Apply
The following must be received by the Admissions Office prior to December 30, 2020:
- Completed Application for Admission. Apply online here between Sept 1 and December 30.
- Current EMCC students wishing to change their major TO Medical Radiography can use the abbreviated Change of Major Form (aka “Snap-App”) also accessed from the link above.
The following must be received by the Admissions Office prior to February 1, 2021:
- All previous education transcripts (high school, adult education, and college).*
- Regardless of whether transfer credit is being sought, applicants must disclose all prior colleges attended. Failure to furnish all information on past education may constitute adequate reason for disqualification of your acceptance or subsequent dismissal from the College as well as possible retraction or denial of financial aid funds.
- Two confidential recommendations on official EMCC reference forms from professional or academic persons (new recommendations are required each year).
- Pre-Admission Test must be completed. (Results will automatically be sent to the Admissions Office if testing at EMCC.) See testing information below.
- Immunizations records. (To include three doses of Hepatitis B vaccine as well as a titer. This may take up to 8 months to complete.) Information regarding required immunization records will be mailed to you from the Admissions Office upon receipt of your application for admission.
- OPTIONAL BUT HIGHLY RECOMMENDED Completed Radiography Observation Form & Confidentiality Agreement Forms. (More information regarding this below.)
All forms referenced above can be found on the Admissions Forms and Resources page.
All applicants to Medical Radiography who are offered admission to the program will be required to submit to a national criminal background screening process at their expense within 30 days of acceptance. For more complete details regarding this requirement please see Criminal Background Screening If after reading this information you have questions or concerns please contact Stacy Green, at email@example.com or 207-974-4679.
Application review may begin as early as November; most decisions will be made in late March and candidates will be notified by April 1, 2021.
Admission decisions will be based on an objective ranking system including, but not limited to: completion of prerequisite courses, grades, pre-admission test scores, recommendations, and attendance at an information session. See more information below.
To be considered for admission for fall 2021, all prerequisites must be successfully completed prior to February 1. Applications of students currently enrolled in prerequisite courses will not be reviewed for admission until a final grade is received. The prerequisites (high school equivalent) required for admission to EMCC’s Medical Radiography program are:
- Algebra I
- Algebra II
- Biology with Lab
- Chemistry with Lab or Physics (preferred)
*It is the responsibility of the applicant to have the final grades from prerequisite courses taken through adult education or at another college mailed to the Admissions Office. (In determining whether an application is “complete” and ready to be reviewed by the Admissions Committee, adult education transcripts are not considered if admission personnel are not aware that you are currently enrolled in these courses.) Applicants are strongly encouraged to follow up and ensure that all materials have arrived for your file. (Allow sufficient lead time.) Additionally, if you are currently enrolled in prerequisite courses and/or Radiography general education courses, make sure the Admissions Committee is aware of the course name, location, and anticipated completion date.
It is recommended that applicants acquaint themselves with the radiography field by spending time in a local hospital radiography department prior to interviewing with the Admissions Committee. Allow up to 2 weeks to schedule an observation experience once you contact the hospital. If you choose to shadow, it must be done before February 1.
How to Schedule a Radiography Observation
Applicants may complete their observation at any local hospital/radiography department.
- Contact the Radiology Manager of the hospital to schedule an appointment.
- Bring the Confidentiality Agreement Form and Radiology Observation Form with you and have the forms completed by the Radiology Manager.
Applicants who choose to complete their observation at Northern Light/Eastern Maine Medical Center must complete the following steps prior to scheduling their clinical experience appointment:
- Complete and submit the EMCC Application for Admission to the EMCC Admissions Office.
- Request the opportunity to job shadow in the Radiography Dept. by following this link to the Northern Light EMMC (Eastern Maine Medical Center) Observational Experience webpage
- Read the instructions carefully and submit the required documentation. All forms must be returned before you will be contacted to schedule an observational experience at Northern Light EMMC.
- After all Medical Center documentation has been completed, the Clinical Coordinator will contact you to set up a radiography observation appointment.
Dress Code During Radiography Observation
For the Radiography observation, applicants are required to dress professionally. Appropriate clothing (such as khakis or dresses/skirts) and comfortable shoes are acceptable attire.
- Makeup may be worn in moderation. In accordance with hospital policy, perfume/after-shave may not be used.
- For all applicants, hair must be neat, clean, dry, and professional in appearance. For male applicants, hair in excess of chin length must be pulled back. Male applicants may wear neatly trimmed mustaches and/or beards; otherwise, they must be clean-shaven.
- The following are unacceptable: blue jeans, torn pants, tight shirts, belly shirts, halter tops, shirts/T-shirts with inappropriate logos, sandals, open-toed shoes, any facial jewelry or visible tattoos, gum chewing, dirty hair and/or nails, and body odor.
An important part of the application process is the Health Occupations Aptitude Exam that is required of all applicants. In order to schedule a date to take the Health Occupations Aptitude Exam at EMCC, you must first submit an Application for Admission! If you do not meet the program prerequisites, it is not advisable for you to take the pre-admission test. Please contact Stacy Green, Director of Admissions, at firstname.lastname@example.org for advice.
Examinees are responsible for reviewing testing instructions and information prior to arriving on test day. To review the exam layout and the type of questions asked, go to the PSB website: www.psbtests.com. Click on: Students: Resources for Test Taking on the left of the home page, then under Sample Questions, click on the Word or PDF file next to HOAE Sample Questions. While on the Resources for Test Taking page, also read Understanding The Results and Other Helpful Resources. The Admissions Committee strongly recommends exploring all of the resources available regarding the exam. To further prepare, use any SAT preparation guide or the “Master the GED” guide by Arco.
More study resources include:
Click on the Free Sample link – No need to spend $3.82 to buy the guide.
To review math concepts, try this free resource: https://www.khanacademy.org/
The exam is comprised of five separately timed sections in the categories of academic aptitude, spelling, reading comprehension, information in the natural sciences, and vocational adjustment. Testing will take approximately three hours to complete and allotted time may not be exceeded. Examinees should attempt to answer as many questions in each section as possible; skipping difficult questions in an effort to answer as many total questions as possible. Examinees may always go back and answer skipped questions within a section if time allows, but may not go back to a previous section once they have started the next section. Unanswered questions are considered incorrect. Calculators are not allowed. Applicants may take the exam more than once if desired, at a cost of $60 per sitting. It must be completed prior to February 1.
Examinees who require testing accommodations due to a disability should contact our Accessibility Services Coordinator, 207-974-4868 or by email at email@example.com. In order for us to make appropriate accommodations, the appropriate forms must be on file prior to scheduling a date to test.
Test Dates and How to Schedule
PSB testing for fall 2021 Medical Radiography applicants will resume in January and will be administered several times through February 1, 2021. To schedule a date to take the PSB exam, please Click Here. This is a MULTI-STEP PROCESS so please read the instruction page carefully!
The delivery method for this exam will be live on the EMCC campus. In an effort to comply with mask wearing requirements of the State of Maine please come prepared with a mask. Social distancing measures and hand sanitizing stations are in place.
Admissions Committee members will thoroughly review and evaluate all completed applications to determine each applicant’s qualifications for admission. Those individuals selected to attend an information session with Admissions Committee members will be notified via email. Sessions will be scheduled in February/March (live or via ZOOM as the pandemic dictates). (Specific dates will be published after Jan 1.) Info sessions are by invite only; however, applicants are urged to mark their calendars and keep these dates free.
Applicants are notified via email of the Admissions Committee’s final decision. Candidates who are placed on a waiting list may be selected for admission at any time prior to approximately June 1 of that same year. Those applicants not selected will be required to reapply for the following year if they wish to be reconsidered.
Primary Contacts for Admission Questions
The Admissions Committee respectfully requests that all questions concerning the Medical Radiography admission process and transfer credit be directed as follows (e-mail preferred in all instances):
- Application Documentation Received
- Log in to MyEMCC student portal to monitor receipt of required documentation.
- Selection Process Questions (Stacy Green, Director of Admissions)
- Transfer Credit Questions (Elizabeth Castro, Transfer Coordinator)
- Questions regarding being a student in the program (Heather Merrill, Program Director)