TRiO Student Support Services
Are you planning to graduate from EMCC or transfer to a 4-year college and want the support that will help you succeed? If so, you need to know about Trio Student Support Services.
What is TRiO Student Support Services (SSS)?
TRiO Student Support Services (SSS) is funded by the Department of Education to help students be successful in college and beyond. TRiO SSS provides opportunities for academic development and serves to motivate students towards the successful completion of post-secondary education. The goal of TRiO SSS is to increase college retention and graduation rates of participants.
TRiO has been extremely successful at helping eligible students achieve their dreams at colleges across the country for nearly 50 years. The TRiO SSS Office here at EMCC is staffed by caring and committed professionals whose mission is to help students meet and exceed their academic and professional goals.
TRiO SSS is also a great way to get connected with other students, faculty, and staff and make the most of your time at EMCC!
Who is eligible for TRiO SSS?
All interested students are encouraged to apply for TRIO!
We can help you determine if you are eligible to participate and benefit from this program.
TRIO eligibility is based on few important factors:
- Students must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents
- Students must be in need of and able to benefit from academic support
- Students must also meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Be a first-generation college student, meaning neither of your parents or guardians graduated from a four-year college
- Have financial need, defined as being Pell Grant eligible and meeting certain government guidelines for taxable income, or
- Have a documented physical, medical, psychological or learning disability
Why Join Trio SSS? (What Can TRiO Do For Me?)
- Walk-in advising with advisors who are specifically dedicated to working with TRiO SSS students
- Exclusive access to tutors who will work with your schedule
- Assistance with class registration to keep you on track to meet your educational goals
- Workshops and activities to enhance personal development and academic progress
- Career counseling
- Transfer advising
- Writing Center – The English Department looks forward to offering ENG 205 (Advanced Composition) in Spring 2019 as a capstone for Education students. This course will train participants to become Peer Tutors for the Writing Center.
- Help with completing FAFSA, understanding the financial aid process, and scholarship searches
- Make connections on campus with students, faculty, and staff
- Opportunity to participate in a summer bridge program
- Annual cultural experience trip!
I’m interested in participating, what do I need to do?
Fill out the TRiO Application on the resources and documents page.
Stop by the TRiO SSS Office anytime to learn more (Room 123, Maine Hall).
Did You Know?
Students who participate in TRiO SSS are three times more likely to complete a degree than their TRiO-eligible peers who did not participate in TRiO SSS. TRiO Works!