posted in Accounting on September 13th, 2017
APPLY AT: http://job-openings.monster.com/Accountant-GS-510-7-9-11-Limestone-ME-US-Defense-Finance-Accounting-Service/11/188165669
About our Agency: As the world’s largest finance and accounting firm, the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) pays all Department of Defense (DoD) military and civilian personnel, retirees and annuitants, and major DoD contractors and vendors. We take great pride in serving the men and women who serve America, and invite goal-oriented people like you to challenge yourself while providing a service to our nation. Employment with DFAS means access to generous benefits such as: health, vision, and dental insurance, retirement benefits, paid time off, and educational benefits.
These positions are being filled under Direct-Hire Authority for Financial Management Experts. DFAS has delegated authority by the Office of the Secretary of Defense to directly appoint qualified candidates possessing a finance, accounting, management, or actuarial science degree, or a related degree from an accredited college or university in a field of study, or equivalent experience, related to the functions of the position to be filled. We reserve the right to close this announcement early or to extend, as appropriate, based upon the needs of the Agency. Qualified application packages may be referred to management at various points in the selection process depending on the number and timing of applications received. Selections may be made at the GS-7, G-9, or GS-11 entry grade levels at any point during the announcement open period.
About the position:
– Provides professional accounting advice and assistance in the application and compliance of generally accepted accounting principles, policies, and procedures.
– Reviews, analyzes and modifies operating programs, practices, and procedures related to receiving, controlling, validating, recording, and reporting accounting transactions affecting the asset, liability, revenue, expense, and budgetary accounts of supported organizations.
– Assists in establishing and monitoring internal controls to identify problem areas, determine actions required to improve operating program effectiveness, and ensure and maintain the integrity of financial and accounting information.
– Applies knowledge and understanding of automated data processing systems as they apply to accounting systems and “feeder” systems and the ability to deal effectively and logically in solving program/system issues.
– Performs special audits, studies, reports and/or, analysis to evaluate the status of the financial health and/or position of accounting operations based on balanced scorecard measurements or indicators.
– Duties will be developmental in nature while performing below the maximum grade level (GS-11).
This position is developmental and selections may be made at the GS-7, GS-9, or GS-11 entry grade levels with a full performance level of GS-11. Once eligibility and qualification requirements are met, selectees will be eligible for promotion at management discretion to the GS-9 and GS-11 grade levels without further competition. The salary range for each entry grade is as follows:
GS-7: Minimum $40,684 Maximum $52,893 GS-9: Minimum $49,765 Maximum $64,697 GS-11: Minimum $60,210 Maximum $78,270
Moving expenses will not be paid.
- Financial Management DHA eligibility via one of the following:
o Awarded a degree in finance, accounting, management, actuarial science, or a related field from an accredited college or university;
o Experience related to the functions of the position being filled
- Basic Education Requirement:
o Bachelor’s degree with 24 semester hours/36 quarter hours of accounting (up to 6 semester hours/9 quarter hours may be in Business Law).
o Combination of education and experience-at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. In addition, your background MUST include one of the following:
- 24 semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law; or
- A certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination.
- Human Resources will determine your qualifications for each entry grade level based on your interest and the additional following criteria. Resumes for federal government positions need more detailed work descriptions and accomplishments than a typical private sector resume. Please be sure to clearly describe this in your resume. Combinations of education and experience may also be sufficient.
o To be hired at the GS-7 entry grade level, applicants must have:
- 1 year of experience validating, maintaining, or processing accounting data or transactions.
- One full year of graduate level education or Superior Academic Achievement which can be met by:
- Grade point average of a 2.95 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Class standing in the upper third of my graduating class or major subdivision
- Membership in a national scholastic honor society) may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement.
o To be hired at the GS-9 entry grade level, applicants must have:
- 1 year of experience utilizing established accounting standards to compile, analyze, and summarize accounting data resulting from day-to-day accounting operations, maintaining the integrity of financial accounts and preparing financial statements and/or reports.
- Two full years of progressively higher level graduate education, Master’s or equivalent graduate degree, may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement.
o To be hired at the GS-11 entry grade level, applicants must have:
- 1 year of experience interpreting and applying accounting principles, policies, and procedures; assisting in designing, implementing and assessing internal accounting control processes; and ensuring the validity, accuracy, and integrity of accounting processes.
- Three full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement.
- This National Security position requires a background investigation. If you are selected and cannot obtain favorable suitability and security determinations within a reasonable period of time due to disclosed or undisclosed issues with your background investigation, the employment offer may be withdrawn.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
- Registered for Selective Service (males born after 12/31/1959)
- A two year probationary period may be required.
- Selections at the entry levels, GS-07 and GS-09, with a maximum grade of GS-11 will be covered by a formal training development program with promotion opportunities under the DFAS Leaders In Motion (LIM) Program. The purpose of this program is to develop well-qualified, well-trained, high potential employees for future positions within DFAS. Promotion is conditional based on performance, successful completion of training, and availability of higher graded work. Participants who do not successfully complete the program may be separated. Individuals who previously successfully completed the program will not be placed in the formal developmental program and are ineligible for having pay set using maximum payable rate or pay retention.
- This position requires you to obtain and maintain a Level 2 Certification under the DoD Financial Management (FM) Certification Program as a condition of employment. If you are selected, you will have to obtain this certification within two (2) years of your entry on duty in the position unless you are already in a position that requires a Level 2 Certification in which case you must complete the certification within the original 2-year period. Failure to become certified within the required time-frame may be grounds for removal from the position and/or from Federal service.
How to apply:
– Submit your resume detailing how you meet the education, experience, and certification requirements for this position.
– In the announcement questionnaire, you’ll be asked to provide your College/University name(s), type of degree(s), date degree(s) earned, and a listing of your coursework that will meet the education requirement.
– A transcript will be required prior to employment.
- We may use this announcement to make a temporary promotion. For some positions, the temporary promotion may be made permanent without further competition.
- Selections are subject to restrictions resulting from the DoD Program for Stability of Civilian Employment.
- We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 120 days of the closing date.
- This position is Non Exempt at the GS-07 level and Exempt at the GS-09, and GS-11 levels from the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Travel requirement is Seldom.
- This position is covered by a bargaining unit.
- Retired Civil Service Employee: Employment of retired Federal employees receiving an annuity is subject to the requirements of the Department of Defense (DoD) policy guidance. (DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300)
DFAS is an equal opportunity employer. Please see the following for additional information:
Reasonable Accommodation Policy – https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/reasonable-accommodation/
- Legal & Regulatory guidance – https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/legal-and-regulatory-guidance/
- EEO – https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/equal-employment-opportunity/