“I had the chance to go to school after I was laid off from Dexter Shoe. I surprised myself by how well I adapted to classroom learning after 20 years out of school. I’ve made the Dean’s List and will graduate in May. I’m proof it can be done!”
Applications for the fall 2020 Nursing program are accepted September 1, 2019 through December 30, 2019.
All supporting documentation (transcripts, test results, etc.) must be received by the Admissions Office before February 1, 2020. Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit applications as soon as practical to ensure sufficient time to complete the admission process. Candidates selected for admission will be notified by April 1, 2020.
How to Apply
The following must be submitted to the Admissions Office prior to December 30, 2019:
- Completed Application for Admission. Apply online here between September 1 and December 30.
- Current EMCC students applying to change their major to Nursing can use the abbreviated Change of Major Application (aka “Snap-App”) accessible from the link above. (Must complete remaining application requirements as well.)
The following must be submitted to the Admissions Office prior to February 1, 2020:
- All previous educational transcripts (high school, adult education, and college). Regardless of whether transfer credit is being sought, applicants must disclose all prior colleges attended. Failure to furnish all information on past education may constitute adequate reason for disqualification of your acceptance or subsequent dismissal from the College as well as possible retraction or denial of financial aid funds.
- Pre-Admission test results. EMCC requires that all candidates take the Kaplan pre-entrance exam. Applicants may sign up for the exam once an application for admission has been submitted. The exam will be offered between December and February. A link to schedule the exam can be found below.
Candidates who have completed application requirements and have met all program prerequisites will be invited to attend an information session with faculty (to be held in February/March). Attendance at a session is required prior to receiving a decision.
All applicants to Nursing who are offered admission to the program will be required to submit to a national criminal background screening process at their expense within 30 days of acceptance. For more complete details regarding this requirement please see Criminal Background Screening. If after reading this information you have any questions or concerns, please contact Stacy Green, Director of Admissions, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 207-974-4679.
To be considered for admission for fall 2020, all prerequisites must be successfully completed prior to February 1 in order to be considered. Applications for students currently enrolled in prerequisite courses during the fall semester will not be reviewed for admission until a final grade is received. (Updated transcripts for courses taken at institutions other than EMCC are required upon course completion in this case.) The prerequisites (high school equivalent unless otherwise noted) required for admission to EMCC’s 2020 Nursing Program are:
- Algebra I
- Biology with Lab
- Transferable college-level Anatomy and Physiology I with Lab (EMCC’s BIO127)*^
- Transferable college-level College Composition (EMCC’s ENG101)*^
- NRG101-Math for Nurses* (this course is offered at EMCC as a hybrid and can be taken at a distance)
*A limited number of 3-year slots (extended program) are available each year to current high school students who have not yet completed college-level Anatomy and Physiology I with Lab, College Composition, or Math for Nurses. Candidates for the extended program must meet all other admission criteria including achieving the appropriate Kaplan pre-entrance exam scores. See an admissions counselor for clarification.
^Individuals who feel they have transferable credit for any of the college-level prerequisites listed above are urged to confirm course transferability with the Director of Admissions prior to submitting an application for admission to the Nursing program.
*It is the responsibility of the applicant to have the final grades from prerequisite courses taken through adult education or at another college mailed to the Admissions Office. (In determining whether an application is “complete” and ready to be reviewed by the Admissions Committee, adult education transcripts are not considered if admission personnel are not aware that you are currently enrolled in these courses.) Applicants are strongly encouraged to follow up and ensure that all materials have arrived for your file. Additionally, if you are currently enrolled in prerequisite courses and/or Nursing general education courses, make sure the Admissions Committee is aware of the course name, location, and anticipated completion date.
Primary Contacts for Admission Questions
The Admissions Committee respectfully requests that all questions concerning the nursing admission process and transfer credit be directed as follows (e-mail preferred in all instances):
- Application Documentation Received (Debra Perro)
- (207) 974-4742
- Transfer and Selection Process Questions (Stacy Green)
- (207) 974-4679
The selection process used for the Nursing program involves an objective assessment of each applicant’s academic history including prerequisite and college-level coursework, pre-admission test results and references. To be seriously considered, applicants must:
- Achieve a Kaplan exam score of 60% or higher (higher scores carry more weight in the selection process), as determined by the Nursing Admissions Committee;
- Earn As or Bs in all prerequisite coursework (higher grades carry more weight in the selection process);
- Earn As or Bs in academic courses relevant to the Nursing program curriculum (especially A & P II w/ Lab, Pathophysiology and Pharmacology).
Personal interviews are not used as part of the selection criteria; therefore, requesting a personal meeting with the Director of Nursing will not have a positive or negative influence on the selection process.
Kaplan Pre-Entrance Exam Information
To learn more about the Kaplan pre-entrance exam and to schedule an exam date, click here. (All exam dates for 2018-2019 applicants have passed. Exam dates for 2019-2020 will be posted in the fall.)