Winter Harbor Yacht Club
Job Title: Head Chef
Winter Harbor Yacht Club, Winter Harbor, ME
Position Dates: June 20th-September 10, 2023 (flexibility preferred)
The Winter Harbor Yacht Club is a historic and beloved institution, founded in the 1890’s along with the Grindstone Neck summer community. The Club is nestled in a corner of Frenchman Bay, directly across from Mount Desert Island and Bar Harbor. It is open to members and guests from the end of June through Labor Day, hosting a wide variety of sailing and racing activities, including Knockabout races, Bullseye races, and a Junior sailing program. WHYC member and visiting Yacht facilities include a Snack Bar, moorings, and launch service. It is closely partnered with the Grindstone Association where golf, tennis, and swimming are available.
- Head Chef will oversee daily and special event kitchen operations for the duration of the summer season, including the planning, purchasing, receiving, preparation, pricing and service of meals to Club members, guests, and visitors.
- Off-season duties include an in-depth review of past year’s kitchen metrics and subsequent development of upcoming summer menu. In close partnership with Clubhouse Manager, Roxanne Renwick, inventory and necessary sourcing of cook- and tableware will be identified and documented.
- Daily operations in-season are primarily focused around our static, counter-service Snack Bar menu. Opportunity for culinary innovation via soup du jour, daily entrée special, bakery items and events. Clubhouse Manager will closely assist Head Chef with operations, including ordering through Sysco, Coca-Cola, and other local vendors such as Winter Harbor Co-Op and IGA.
- Clubhouse phone will be answered by kitchen staff during normal hours.
- The Club’s robust social calendar features a variety of (approximately) bi-weekly catered special events. These include an annual buffet-style Fourth of July Commodore Luncheon, themed weekend-night suppers, casual bistro dinners, scheduled takeout meals, and an annual closing dinner. Occasional private catering at WHYC or member homes upon request.
- In addition to event meals, the culinary team communicates and assists members with sign- ups (via cork board on Club porch & website submissions), determines entry price based on cost and labor, helps with set-up and take-down, and tracks attendance and payments via Square.
- In collaboration with Clubhouse Manager, Chef supervises Assistant Chef, culinary staff and volunteers, along with training and payroll support. Communicates pertinent information to Roxanne, who liaisons most kitchen operations to the Commodore.
- Develops and monitors food and labor budget with assistance of the Club Treasurer. Purchases are made using Club credit card (Sysco, Coke) or personal funds (local vendors, logged & reimbursed), tracked on purchase forms & slips, and picked-up weekly in bank-bag by Club’s Accountant. Chef and kitchen staff maintain the highest professional food quality, safety and sanitation standards.
Our ideal candidate is an enthusiastic and creative leader, who may be interested in building connections in our community to return to the Club in future summers. Housing is provided, so Chef duos/couples and young families are welcome! Children of full-time employees are invited to join the Junior Sailing program!
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org