Culinary Arts provides students with a complete and versatile background in culinary arts. Students study Classical French, International, and American regional cuisines, pastry arts, table-side cookery, buffet catering, advanced garde manger production, and other culinary topics. Students learn to apply this knowledge through hands-on experience in the culinary arts kitchen.
Students receive hands-on experience at The Rangeley Café, the training restaurant for Culinary Arts at EMCC.
Careers options for students successfully completing the Culinary Arts Associate Degree Program include chefs, kitchen managers, catering directors, and restaurant managers. Students may also choose to transfer to four-year college programs.
The one-year certificate program in Food Service Specialist prepares students with basic skills and offers valuable experience for successful employment in the foodservice industry.
Key Learning Objectives
Graduates with the Associate in Applied Science Degree in Culinary Arts will be able to perform at both entry-level and mid-level positions in the areas of basic professional cooking and baking, as well as front of the house and supervisory responsibilities within the following areas:
- Line cooking including sauté, broiler/grill, fry, and expedition work.
- Pre-preparation and Preparation work in the categories of Garde Manger and Hot Foods; Saucier, Entremetier, and Tournant.
- Menu planning and execution.
- Food costing, purchasing, and distribution.
- Reservation systems and all phases of dining room position execution.
- Preparation of glutinous products, simple desserts, and advanced dessert selections.
- Basic nutrition and modified diet menu items.
Graduates will be certified in the areas of Foodservice Sanitation through the Educational Foundation under the auspices of the National Restaurant Association and Food and Beverage Management through the Educational Institute of the American Hotel and Motel Association Educational Institute.
- AAS Program: Algebra I, Algebra II, and a lab science required.
- Certificate Program: Algebra I required.