The Plumbing program is designed to provide students with a basic understanding of the tools and materials used by plumbing professionals to complete residential and light commercial plumbing projects. Students will have opportunities to become proficient in the design, installation, maintenance and repair of standard plumbing systems in accordance with the Maine State Plumbing Code. The EMCC Plumbing courses are offered at United Technologies Center located 2/10 of a mile from the EMCC campus.
Graduates of the program are eligible to sit for the State of Maine journeyman’s plumbing examination. The journeyman-in-training license is issued to graduates who successfully complete the exam. With this credential, the graduates can work under the supervision of a journeyman or master plumber. Upon accumulating 2,000 hours under a journeyman or master plumber, the license is upgraded to that of journeyman. Graduates have the opportunity to seek employment as service technicians, installers, draftspersons, warehouse workers, and salespersons.
Graduates are prepared to:
- Describe basic materials and tools used for standard residential and light-commercial plumbing projects.
- Adhere to safety rules and regulations relevant to the industry.
- Demonstrate essential math, blueprint reading, and interpretation of plumbing codes.
- Explain the components and assembly techniques required for standard pipe and water supply systems.
- Diagnose and repair plumbing systems.
- Certificate-high school level Algebra I required
Individuals offered admission to the Plumbing program will be required to submit to a national criminal background screening, at a minimum cost of $75 (may be higher), within 30 days of acceptance. Applicants who have engaged in any activity or behavior which may be considered abuse, neglect, or exploitation of a minor or of an incapacitated or dependent adult, or who has been convicted of any crime involving fraud or dishonesty, or drugs, or for which imprisonment of one year or more has been imposed are urged to seek clarification regarding program completion requirements from the Director of Admissions.