Medical Office Technology
The Associate of Applied Science degree in Medical Office Technology is designed to prepare students for employment in physicians’ offices, clinics, hospitals, and other health care facilities. With the ever-changing medical climate, the demand for trained office professionals in health care is growing. This program will prepare students to be proficient in a number of vital skill areas including medical coding and billing, transcription, health record maintenance, scheduling, and software applications.
Career opportunities include office manager, office assistant/administrative assistant, medical secretary, transcriptionist, coder, billing manager, billing clerk, medical records clerk, unit secretary, patient registration, office clerk, or receptionist.
Upon completion of the recommended curriculum in the Associate of Applied Science degree in Medical Office Technology, the graduate is prepared to:
- Demonstrate competency with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and email software applications.
- Exhibit oral and written communication skills necessary to work effectively in a business environment.
- Use effective interpersonal skills in the workplace to assist the completion of individual and team tasks and to promote the image of both the individual and the organization.
- Produce accurate correspondence and reports using appropriate editing and language skills.
- Produce accurate medical documents [including histories and physicals, chart notes, discharge summaries, consultations, etc.] using appropriate formats and editing and language skills.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of procedural and diagnostic coding using CPT and ICD-10 CM.
- Schedule appointments, record patient information, file insurance claims, manage accounts receivable, and process insurance claim forms adhering to legal restrictions.
- Adhere to security, privacy, and confidentiality policies.
Qualify for medical office positions in clinics, hospitals, doctors’ offices, and home health care facilities.
- Medical Office Technology – Advanced Coding
- Medical Office Technology – Coding
- Medical Office Technology – Computer Applications Specialist Certificate
- Algebra I
- Keyboarding (25 wpm with 3 errors or less for 3 minute timing)